Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Extreme Dinosaurs. No, seriously.



Every now and again I feel shame for my ability to recall the Shirt Tales theme song. Then I take a trip down Youtube Street, and I realize maybe it's ok. Maybe I was born in the right decade.



I say this mostly because A; I have no memory of these programs, or their theme songs (so happy the Extreme Dinosaurs video comes with lyrics!), and B; I don't look at these videos and say "Damn, that was a cool show! I still have the toys!"

I do look at my crappy ass Transformers and GiJoe guys and say these fuckers were true. These fuckers were down to earth, you young bitches. These fuckers could take on the street sharks. They weren't Extreme. They fucking made sense! Transforming robots make a hell of a lot more sense then Street Sharks! They were real.

Of course, both the GiJoe and Transformers cartoons have undergone an "Extreme" iteration in their way-too-long-lifespan. This is why there should be a moratorium on any cartoon that does really well then burns out fast. These programs shouldn't be allowed to be updated for 50 years*

Look what happened to The Real Ghost Busters! I shudder!



THIS NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED.

50 years should be long enough to allow for us to be senile enough to appreciate a cartoon's childlike appeal without the pain of nostalgia.






*Except Venture Brothers Extreme. They should go ahead and do that show now.

4 comments:

Ruby Tenneco said...

I'm looking at those now and thinking "Damn, that was a cool show!*" though I don't have toys shaped like that.





*except that Ghostbusters thing, that is loveless animation!

Lungclops said...

once, drunk, i told pony that the idea of transforming robots was maybe the stupidest thing ever to happen. his reaction was delicious. i still don't see how these street sharks are any dumber. although they do feel slightly more pandery, like when homer gets control of the itchy and scratchy show.

Galspanic said...

My Transformers comments are always slightly earnest, and slightly bait.
It's a love/hate relationship.

And yes Ruby, I sadly have to totally agree regarding the Ghostbusters.

Ruby Tenneco said...

Hey, look, there's an extreme dinosaurs game!