Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cathy's Mom's Pho Recipe


A couple of months ago, Cathy's mom was generous enough to share her pho recipe with us. Even better, she demoed the entire process, involving us at every step. This, friends, is the right way to teach a non-linear multistage process! Also, we got to totally eat it after, which seems to have spoiled me for the pho found in Vietnamese restaurants. I have yet to make Cathy's mom's pho at home, but I have compiled my notes into this stupid drawing, posted here with permission. Start in the upper left hand corner and work your way down.

Also there are photos. Not as many as I would have liked. Fugu and I took photos, but as it happens, we both took photos of exactly the same things.

Big thank you to Cathy and her mom.

6 comments:

Lungclops said...

the process's nonlinearity is irrelevant; since i can do only one thing at a time, the recipe would be better represented as a numbered list. why do you insist on pretending that things are more complicated than they really are?

Mr. Pony said...

Your movements may be linear, but the processes (which are also, in fact, linear) necessarily overlap in time. A numbered list of tasks for you to perform would no doubt produce soup, but rob you of an understanding of the tasks you perform. I just want what's best for you, brother.

I'll work on a more recipe-like version.

Lungclops said...

don't be silly. understanding will come from my actually preparing the recipe. terms like "set aside" and "let simmer while you chop asian vegetables" take care of the overlapping tasks much more efficiently and clearly than pictures.

and don't you fucking look at me when i'm talking to you!

Lungclops said...

okay, the more i look at this drawing, the more sense it makes. still, eff you, someone's gotta speak up for the primacy of the word in this godforsaken zone of image idolatry.

Galspanic said...

Asian vegetables.

odori said...

I love the drawing!!!
I want to make this recipe, but I'm intimidated. Spending 10 or 12 hours cooking broth is so hard core.

I'm home btw. Back from the South Pacific. Nice to be home - but I also really love American Samoa. It's my new favorite place.