Monday, June 22, 2009

postlithic cave art

Since I began working at the offices of B_____ in 20__, I've wondered about a mysterious graffito in the stairwell. It always looked to me like an antelope done in the style of a caveman wall painting--its bloody red color added to that impression. Until recently, though, I never gave it much thought. It was just a friendly little beast I'd always acknowledge when I happened to take the stairs instead of the elevator. But last week I started to wonder: was this antelope a deliberate drawing, or just some accidental Rorscach, squirted on the wall from a head wound or an exploded marker?

I asked a coworker, one Brian L______, if he had seen the antelope. He responded, "Oh you mean the Lascaux cave art?" This was heartening. But I wanted to get the opinion of some visual artists, so I enlisted Mr. Pony. He had never noticed the antelope before, so I sent him a picture. This one:

Mr. Pony said that it looked more like a woman's torso to him, and suggested that I post it here on Pieces to get your opinions on the matter. A capital suggestion, I thought, thinking nothing of his torso remark--just another bit of Pony thick-headedness/provocation, I wagered.

Then my mind was blown. I sent it to another coworker, an accomplished animator, one Del A_____. He, too, suggested that it was a woman's torso! What the hell were these people talking about? I grabbed a few other coworkers to take a look at this thing, and Mr. L_____, the very same who orignally referred to the piece as a Lascaux cave painting, pointed out that it was in fact a woman's torso! What I had taken to be the antelope's proud, out-thrust chest was actually a bepantied butt. The antelope's tail was her tummy, its head her back. Of course! I was the asshole!

Still, I'm curious to know what your first impressions are. If you still don't see the antelope, perhaps this mockup by another artist working for B_____, one Demian J______, will help you along:









10 comments:

Galspanic said...

I saw the woman's torso immediately, but then I am kind of a sex freak.
I will relate a humorous story though. The night Bush Jr. was "elected" to the white haus, there was a great big wild boar standing alone in the yard across the stream that runs next to my home. I felt it there. Like the prickling on the back of your neck type thing. I looked over, and the first thought in my head was; "spear...must find spear." Swear to Flying Spaghetti Monster. My second thought was; "wait, what the fuck, spear? Where's my camera?" by then the boar had sprinted off into the ferns.


I love the dudes on the hunt for woman's torso.

Galspanic said...

You can kind of see someone started the bra on her as well.
Maybe its an antelope flying a kite?

Fugu said...

I fail also, and only saw the alien antelope creature. Here is another manly test which I failed that an old boss of mine put me up to:

Given the choice between an expensive sports car and a really hot model, which do you choose?

Hoping to come across as a real man I of course said the girl. But this was a trick! Apparently real men know that you pick the car, as this also gets you the girl.

This crosses over nicely with ai-bu9's post of nerds vs jocks. I think my old boss was the worst kind of combination of the two.

Lungclops said...

i think it shows that you and i have low IQ's or poor imaginations, fugu, as we interpret images in two dimensions instead of three.

demon said...

butt

Litcube said...

I also failed. But I saw the starting of a bikini top. Galspanic said "bra". Pervert.

Lungclops said...

i don't think that's a bra or bikini top; it's a spinal depression. yes! redeemed!

Galspanic said...

I think I stated very clearly at the beginning of this thread that I am a sex freak.

Lungclops said...

oh wait, i see the part you're all talking about. i think that is actually an addition by another artist. this is like the erechtheion of graffiti. yes! redeemed!

Lungclops said...

oh wait, galspanic already implied it was another artist. i'm the asshole!