Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Somalia Travelogue

So, I was reading some article about those Somali pirates who captured a thousand-foot-long oil tanker (that's equivalent to one thousand foot-long hot dogs laid end to end), and I thought to myself, "I wonder if anyone travels to Somalia." Like, for tourism. A quick google rewarded me with two splendid links.

One, the wikitravel page on Mogadishu. Following the glib format of wikitravel's other pages, with imperative-case headings like "Get In" and "Buy," the actual content basically says over and over, "Are you fucking kidding? Leave! Leave NOW! You are going to D-I-E!"

Further googlage led me to this delightful article from the Economist, about Somalia's decidedly unbusy tourism minister. Minister Osman provides several moneyshot quotes, including: "I'm sure tourists would leave Somalia alive and I'm hopeful they wouldn't be kidnapped."

5 comments:

Galspanic said...

I read the wiki entry and yet for some reason It makes me want to go there. What's up with that?

Litcube said...

If you're being sincere, I felt the same way.

Galspanic said...

Dude! I know, right? What's up with that? I, for all reasons that make a sane person shouldn't want to go there, but yeah...

Litcube said...

I'll bet it's more exciting than Vegas.

Galspanic said...

If for any reason it would be because there's less drunk douchebags in the pool.