Sunday, August 3, 2008

DAMN YOU, CURRY.

I figure I don't really need to know about diagnosing cervicitis, so instead: Episode 12 of Dennou Coil.  I'm relatively new to series anime and I don't know if this is par for the course or not, but I gotta say, the production value is slick! It's got some great editing, the design is great, the characters aren't one-sided, the running storyline is complex, and they even put a lot of depth and consistency into the technology they created. This makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.


PLUS, I'm super impressed with the subtitles. Not only do they make sense and stick to a modern vernacular, but they even bother to translate signs and pan with the camera. And I love the added educational bites! 

 I should do all my learning this way. ^_^

3 comments:

Galspanic said...

Where have you been the past few years, Fuge? Oh wait...

Anonymous said...

Ha! It's a Madhouse production, so there's definitely a high level of quality that's a hallmark of their projects. The creator Mitsuo Iso has a pretty interesting list of credits (according to wiki), and the strength of his vision really comes through.

My only gripe is that I think the characters could have used a bit more distinction visually-especially among the girls, however I liked the fairly somber color pallate. The style is little reminiscent of the stuff I've seen come out of Korea recently.

You've may have seen these, but I also highly recommend FLCL/Furi Kuri (only 6 episodes), Read or Die/R.O.D. and Samurai Champloo. They're wildly different stylistically, but each had an unexpected depth to the story and complexity to the world the characters inhabit.

Galspanic said...

FLCL...hoo man. that's an oddball one. I felt it got pretty heavy handed at the end. But I give it up for the dude's nori eyebrows.
One of my best drawing students was obsessed with that manga, and the subsequent one that followed...what was it...Q Chan, I think?