Thursday, April 9, 2009

Michelle Phan's Make-Up Tips

I think if I were a girl, I would find the makeup/no makeup choice to be a really daunting one. I mean, what's the occasion-threshold? My friend Annie says that I'm probably a no make-up person, but I would probably wear some at weddings, and possibly job interviews. I guess if you have to think about it from early on, from when you're a little girl, then you're prepared to make the choice when the time comes. Maybe. I'm more comfortable in my Doom armor than with my shirt tucked in.

And maybe that's what this is. I don't know! I put this vague, open question to the members (and readers) of Pieces of Things who are ladies and drag queens. What is makeup?

Also, please watch this tutorial. As well as Michelle Phan's other videos. Makeup for Glasses and Anime Eyes are good places to start. There are a couple of super-choice moments, that will astound male and female viewers alike. For many reasons, some less obvious than others, I find I cannot look away.

10 comments:

Galspanic said...

I was able to look away. I think it was the "redemption song" cover playing in the background of the Anime eyes episode.

Mr. Pony said...

There's a link to buy the songs on iTunes, in some of the movies!

Galspanic said...

GAAAAH!!!

odori said...

OK. I could only handle about two minutes of the damn tutorial.

My guess is the amout of makeup a woman wears is heavily influenced by the women she grew up around. For example, my mother wears very minimal makeup, and I've pretty much followed in her footsteps. My sister is similar, though she wears a bit more.

(A quick mental survey of childhood friends indicates this may be true for other mother/daughter duos as well.)

I thus never gave makeup much thought when I was a little girl. Putting on makeup was something some women did, but not all. It never looked very fun to me.

(Thus I was very taken aback when a sexist boss I had in Japan told me to wear lipstick to work. It felt very much like an intrusion into my personal space. Since I was still in college, and hadn't developed the ability to fight back against that kind of workplace nonsense, I complied.)

Pratically speaking, makeup is a real pain in the ass.
A roommate I had in Tokyo in would spend about 45 minutes putting her face on every morning. Can you imagine?
I would prefer to use those 45 mintues for something else...

I understand more men are wearing makeup nowadays so the joys of this phenomenon is being shared more broadly.

You can start here:
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-use-make-up-for-men

riye said...

Soooo... who is this person? (Anyone notice her shoes?? You all know what kind they were.)

That's a lot of make up she's putting on just for a day at the office. Although I suppose that depends on where your "office" is.

Fugu said...

Isn't this a contiguous 48 thing, too? Whenever there's a visiting mainlander I always find myself wondering what kind of tattoo they've got or horribly disfiguring scar they're hiding under all those layers.


That make-up for men video made me feel like an ugly slob.

Galspanic said...

You make me feel like an ugly slob, Fuge.

Fugu said...

Then try making yourself up to look pretty for me for a change.

Demon said...

She's insane. Nice Loubs though.

Lungclops said...

her daytime office look is the outfit of a filthy whore. i have to go now. i'll be back in five minutes.