Friday, April 10, 2009

"Boobie Volleyball"

"Boobie Volleyball" is about a losing junior high school volleyball team that makes their teacher promise to show them her boobs if they win an upcoming tournament. The trailer presents the film, which opens in Japan on the 18th, as a charming coming-of-age story.



The Asahi Shimbun newspaper says commemorative "Boobie Volleyball" obentos were available at Friday's advance screening.

The Asahi article includes a photo of the obento. One of the food items looks remarkably like a boob!!

Here's an English language film summary.

I wonder what would happen if Hollywood made this movie for the U.S. How would the religious right react? Or everyone else?

6 comments:

Galspanic said...

Um, Odori. You're talking about pretty much every coming-of-age movie made in America from the '80s until about well, now. I mean, the first thing i thought of when I watched the trailer was "Aww a nice heartwarming Japanese version of Porky's!"
Or maybe I'm getting this wrong. Is this movie being made by the Japanese equivalent of Disney Films or something? Is it being marketed to kids?

Litcube said...

The first thing I thought was how these poor Japanese borrowed the wrong American idea. Perhaps Odori was playing facetious.

Demon said...

Heartwarming.

Fugu said...

"One of the food items looks remarkably like a boob!!"

NANI?!? Do you mean the one with the green nipple, the red nipple with the superfluous orange nipples, or the one with the electrical tape?

...Maybe the one with the lemon on it?

odori said...

Hmmmm... I wasn't being facetious. Japanese society has always seemed more permissive about stuff like this to me. Then again, I never saw Porky's.

Toei, a major Japanese film studio, is making the movie.

I read about the advance screening while scanning the Asahi web site for news. The "Boobie Volleyball" headline came after an article about demonstrations cancelling a regional summit in Thailand and another about a train crash.

So I gather this movie is being promoted to a mainstream audience - I would guess to teenagers and above.

As for the obento -- I was thinking of the flesh-colored mound with green pea topping. The one with electrical tape hadn't grabbed my eye.... I guess you can see boobs everywhere if you try!

Litcube said...

That's the spirit!