Monday, January 28, 2008

Division of Labor in Space Lego


Here's a thing: It's no doubt because I used to watch so much Star Trek, but very early on, I discovered that the color of the spacesuits worn by my LEGO astronauts was, in fact, an identifier for their jobs.

The Red guys were all technicians and engineers. They built and repaired stuff, sort of like in Star Trek, except they didn't die all the time. I don't think any of my dudes ever died, because then you'd have to set them aside, and what kid in his right mind would voluntarily decide that he now had fewer toys to play with? They did lose hands, though. Kind of a lot. Space is dangerous, and large fragments from ships breaking up can shear your hand right the hell off.

The White guys were pilots. If I remember right, this was because I really paid a lot of attention to the brick color I used in the small, 1-2 man fighters I used to build. With space stations and planetary bases, you want to go big, so you're kind of at the mercy of your collection. For small ships, though, I really paid attention to the colors, sticking to white and gray and black; the natural colors of the materials I imagined I was using. You wouldn't paint a spaceship blue. That would indicate quite a bit of vanity, which my LEGO space explorers were certainly lacking. They were professionals. Anyway, the White-suited pilots looked pretty sharp in their sleek, minimalist fighters.

The Blue guys were in command. They stayed at the bases and gave orders, only going on missions when they were totally important. They got this job because I only had a very small number of Blue guys (This was before I learn how a real hierarchical organization actually works, with twenty-five managers giving orders to two workers).

When the Yellow guys came out, many months into the whole space lego thing, the whole division of labor thing kind of fell apart. At first, they were the Blue guys' bosses; admirals and generals visiting from Earth. Then I got more, and they stuck around, and I demoted them, deciding that they were actually ground troops; soldiers. Of course, with no one to really fight, this didn't make a whole lot of sense either. In fact, the biggest obstacle to my LEGO space explorers up until that point had been cataclysmic malfunctions and unfortunate accidents. Exciting, I know.

I think I toyed with the idea of making the Yellow guys the bad guys, maybe some breakaway faction who wanted to explore space... differently... or something. That idea never really got out of the gate. Pretty soon the whole system broke down, and I decided that suit color didn't have anything to do with their jobs any more. Everyone was kind of doing everything, and I guess if you liked blue, you could wear blue. Or maybe you were from a different ship.

And anyway, around this time, some wise-guy gave me some castle LEGO, and all of my reasoning about who was doing what had to go out the damn window, because why was that guy wearing a pointy helmet and carrying a sword anyway?

13 comments:

Galspanic said...

I was under the assumption that the yellow was a designation for Science and research.
You could follow the Trek paradigm and go with yellow indicating security/engineering, red:command, blue science, and white being the "outdoor" or pilot suit.
I really never had enough Classic space lego to help you with any understanding of the color roles. I think i only ever collected the Blacktron, because I always liked black better. What was their role in Classic Space Lego lore anyway? I'm guessing some rebellious faction, or were they surveillance? I recall them having a big ass robot at one point.
I know Fugu rocked the space lego quite a bit, I always liked the moon surface plates.

Galspanic said...

I really didn't officially start collecting large amounts of lego until about ten years ago (when I contracted Peter Pan Syndrome)
I did have a few small pirate sets and the siege tower for the castle guys when I was young, but the value per piece seemed outrageous competing with the AT-ST or the Yar's Revenge cartridge I was pining for. I didn't really understand kit-bashing yet. That wasn't until the G.I.Joe years, but Lego seemed too small, fragile, and non-articulated for me at the time.

Mr. Pony said...

Blacktron definitely had a theme, and surveillance is totally on the right track. I will look into this more.

I am embarrassed that I never gave anyone the job to do science. My guys were collecting so much data. I have no idea what they did with it.

Fugu said...

I can't help but notice that you've forgotten all about the black astronauts in the division of labor. And I'm not talking about the Blacktron dudes. I'm pretty sure the blue, yellow and black guys all came out about the same time in the classic set... but for me anyway the yellow dudes were always the most uber. They always won. I think I had the blues coming in at a close second in a lot of fights, so I guess I had them on opposing factions.

Coincidentally, the brick on my keychain recently broke and I was hunting around my old collection over the weekend looking for my yellow guys--apparently I separated them from the rest of the plebes since I could only find my reds and a few whites (I think the rest of my white dudes caught the plague and had to be incinerated. Hey, in space you've got to make the hard choices. Remember when Ripley didn't want Kane to enter the ship because he had a Facehugger(tm) on him, but Ash let him in anyway? See what happens when you a) let your emotions get the better of you and b) let androids think for themselves? NOTHING GOOD.), so anyway I've now got a red dude on my keychain.

Mr. Pony said...

Dude, you are right about the pre-Blacktron Black suits. Also, according to LUGNET, the Yellow dudes were around much longer than I previously thought--maybe even longer than the Blue guys.

It's neat that you had them fight each other. Did they have different styles of building ships?

Mr. Pony said...

Space is all about Hard Choices.

Litcube said...

I like space.

Galspanic said...

Space is the hard choice. I mean, once you've committed to space, there's not much going back. You can dream about the green fields of your homeworld, the flavor of sun-grown tomatoes or the family you left behind, but the Memboran quinta-pussy ain't gonna fuck itself. And the Adamantite on those comets isn't gonna mine itself either. Well, unless you set it up so that it is gonna mine itself via nanobots or something, and then you have to oversee that shit. Unless you want another "grey goo incident".

Galspanic said...

Do you have any of those moon baseplates still, Fuge?

Fugu said...

Ha ha! Yar's Revenge... I remember that game.
Baseplates: ugh. I'm gonna have to check next time I'm at my parents. Chances are they're not easily findable, though.

Yeah I think I did have them in different style ships. Something like the yellow guys had all symmetrical machines, and the blue guys were more all over the place. When I was a kid I was BIG into symmetry. Not now though. Now I hate symmetry! Asymmetrical furniture, asymmetrical boobs, asymmetrical food, etc...

Update: Red Dude already lost his pants! Poor little fucker.

Fugu said...

Dude, space is totally the easy choice. Not for the very least because of the reasons you mentioned like the "Memboran quinta-pussy," but also because it's BOUND to be more interesting. I mean, we've got one crappy gray moon, there's no rings around Earth, all our plants are basically the same color (and they don't walk around or do our laundry for us), there's no giant gliding bird-things with glowing red eyes shitting on cars all the time, we've used up all our natural resources, there aren't really any other sentient species left to speak of... boring.

They've recently found a Jupiter sized planet around another star at about the same orbit as Earth, and it could easily have a moon the same size as here, so wouldn't that be more fun? you know, earthquake rendering tidal forces aside and the crazy electromagnetic storms that'll probably make you sterile, but it'll be undoubtably better.

Mr. Pony said...

Space sounds terrible!

Galspanic said...

But that's not space, so much as it is another planet you're talking about, Fugu. Different. I'm talking SPACE. Space is the hard choice. (Memboran Quinta-pussy, though...)