Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Fair Play

For your reading enjoyment, here are LEGO®'s guidelines for the use of their trademarks on the web. Of interest:

Proper Use of the LEGO Trademark on a Web Site
If the LEGO trademark is used at all, it should always be used as an adjective, not as a noun. For example, say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGO BRICKS". Never say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGOs".

Okay, I always thought that one had to be careful to not pluralize LEGO with an 's'. "I am in possession of some LEGO," I thought you were supposed to say. I had no idea that the word wasn't even a goddamn noun.

EDIT: I have now linked to the article I was talking about.

4 comments:

Galspanic said...

"we cannot risk allowing the distinctiveness of this symbol to be diluted. We must, therefore, insist that the LEGO logo NEVER be used on an unofficial web site."

This is my favorite line.

Demon said...

They don't want to end up like Xerox or Kleenex-it becomes harder to protect the trademark in court.

Mr. Pony said...

I agree with their efforts to protect their intellectual property. I think they have even more to protect than the average company, nearly every knockoff of their product is such substandard crap.

Maybe the "How to talk about us" belongs here, and maybe it doesn't. It was just finding out that LEGO® is an adjective that lifted my eyebrow in that way that Fugu can and I can't.

odori said...

I think this is a little silly of LEGO.

They should be honored people love their product so much they start using it as a noun.

No?