Sunday, May 24, 2009

Exclamation points!

Exclamation points are profilerating everywhere!

Are they annoying, or friendly?

Internet age "communication experts" say they're a good way to to add energy to otherwise unexciting e-mail. And women apparently use them to be nice.

(I totally believe it. I will often insert an exclamation point into an e-mail to be friendly, especially if I'm writing another woman. I've also seen accomplished women sprinkle exclamation points all over their professional e-mail mesasges. Of course, people can get carried away and go way overboard!!!)

Shipley and Schwalbe argue that in the internet age, a dash of sensation is just what is needed. "Email is without affect," they write. "It has a dulling quality that almost necessitates kicking everything up a notch just to bring it to where it would normally be."


A woman on a bulletin board site featuring female writers says:
Women are socialized to communicate in non-threatening, maybe even self-deprecating ways; I've always thought the exclamation points and smilies and so forth are shorthand for rolling over and showing your soft pink underbelly.


On a side note -- Blogger wouldn't let me include an exclamation point in the post label below. I guess Google is not a fan.

1 comment:

Fugu said...

Interesting that exclamation points are considered non-threatening and self-depreciating!! I mean, vocally, definitely not. Just look at a majority of newspersons on FOX. They use a ton of exclamation points while speaking and sure make a lot of funny faces.

I have been going through a phase of using many exclamation points and smilies. I will stop and be more manly. GRRRR.