Thursday, March 5, 2009

Breaking the 4th wall


Was just reading this Spiderman comic (part of the Civil War series), and I noticed this page. I have a question for you dudes.
Firstly, read the page. Click on it to get the full size.
Seriously, do that first.
Is the author breaking the 4th wall? Is he addressing a complaint of a reader of a previous issue where there was a continuity error with MJs arm, and doing to directly to the readership? Like, look at the 4th panel. It's as though Parker and Stark are looking at the audience/readership, going "Was that fucking satisfactory asshole?" I have no other explanation for the 4th panel.

I am sorry I am analyzing comics in this detail.
This is the first comic I've read in many many years, and I'm only reading it to for the civil war series (start to finish). If my interpretation is right, how often does this sort of thing happen. Also, there are other continuity errors so far.

7 comments:

Galspanic said...

This looks pretty direct to me. They are speaking to someone. Interesting.

Mr. Pony said...

It is a weird time to start reading mainstream comics!

I really enjoyed the Civil War Crossover Event. It dealt ambitiously with then-current issues of safety versus liberty (a choice you Canadians were too smart to try to make). Also, the core of the story is a bunch of the good guys getting really angry with each other, which fleshes out characters that have been relatively flat for decades. Still, it was still a huge Crossover Event. That means everyone's writing someone else's story and everyone's drawing someone else's pictures. Continuity errors abound, more so than usual, and I'm sure the hall monitor readers are all upset, and I bet at this point the creators are like, whatever. So yeah, I think your assessment of panel 4 is right on.

Breaking the fourth wall like that almost never happens, by the way, except in She-Hulk, since it was relaunched by John Byrne, an apparent fan of "It's Gary Shandling's Show" (and a Canadian, as well).

I wish you were here so I could lend you my big pile of Civil War trade paperbacks. Fugu and Galspanic give me this look whenever I offer.

Mr. Pony said...

Oh, hey, Galspanic!

Galspanic said...

I'll read your Civil War when you pick up a copy of Monster Hunter and play some co-op mode with me.

Mr. Pony said...

No you won't.

Ruby Tenneco said...

On the DC side of things, Ambush Bug was also good for 4th wall breakery.

Never read the Civil War stuff, but I'm currently reading about 5 years of Ultimate this and that. Maybe once I've finished The Ultimate Peter Porker the Amazing Spider-Ham #3000 (it's soooo dark!) I'll try that.

Monster Hunter looks amazing, never heard of it!

Mr. Pony said...

I really like Ultimate Spider-Man. I think it really captures what everyone says the original Spider-Man comic did in the sixties--providing an awesome but believable fantasy for alienated teens. (Although reading the original, I think Stan Lee may have taken the long way around.)

I saw a guy at the local comic shop with an Ambush Bug tattoo on his ankle.