Monday, November 24, 2008

Next-gen megahightech special effects





I was originally planning to edit out the slight 'visible wire' effect just barely discernable in this piece of highly-sophisticated home special-effecting.

Then I was inspired by Dean Learner, producer of the classic Garth Marenghi's Darkplace:

An eagle-eyed viewer might be able to see the wires. A pedant might be able to see the wires. But I think if you're looking at the wires you're ignoring the story. If you go to a puppet show you can see the wires. But it's about the puppets, it's not about the string.

If you go to a Punch & Judy show and you're only watching the wires, you're a freak.

7 comments:

Mr. Pony said...

Yeah, that's great advice, I think. An interesting corollary to the ideas behind this, which goes so far as to "put in the wires". (I think. I'm assuming.)

Mr. Pony said...

Nice work, by the way, Are you doing the whole movie?

Galspanic said...

Am I wrong to loathe garth Marenghi's Darkplace? I tried watching it at 3 am on the SciFi and decided I'd rather snort gunpowder.

Onto the matter of wires, has anyone besides me watched Team America all the way through?
Does it matter?

odori said...

I watched Team America all the way through... I thought the wires in that movie were charming.

Mr. Pony said...

Gotta say, I just watched that episode of Darkplace, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mr. Pony said...

Also, is your Death Star a pineapple? Dude?

Ruby Tenneco said...

>Are you doing the whole movie?
Probably not; I lost most of my star wars figures awhile back so it'd have to focus unduly much on Hoth Han Solo and Pez Darth Vader.

>Am I wrong to loathe garth Marenghi's Darkplace?
Yes.

>has anyone besides me watched Team America all the way through?
Yes.

>Does it matter?
Undefined.

>Also, is your Death Star a pineapple?
To a pedant, perhaps, yes...